Exercise 1 - Past and Perfect Tenses
Choose the correct
1. When my brother was a child, he always said that he
is going to have
a large family someday.
2. By the time we got to the party, almost everyone
3. How long
have Tony and Carol known
do Tony and Carol know
did Tony and Carol known
had Tony and Carol known
each other before they got engaged?
4. The Murphys
have been spending
their winters in Florida for years.
5. By the time Jodie Foster won an Academy Award, she
has been acting
had been acting
in films for many years.
had been realizing
had never realized
have never realized
were never realizing
bowling was so much fun until we joined a team.
7. He cut himself when the glass he was washing
in his hand.
8. We ran into traffic on our way to pick up Aunt Sally. By the time we got to the airport, her flight
9. You didn't hear anything the teacher said in class today, did you? What
do you daydream
had you daydreamed
were you daydreaming
have you daydreamed
you been waiting long when the train finally arrived?
here for over a year, and they still don't know their neighbors.